BP 83 - The Announcer's Test
Almost ten years ago, veteran Raleigh-Durham news anchor Larry Stogner (of ABC 11) passed away from ALS. I first met Larry in the spring of 2014. At the time, I didn't know he was a news anchor (as I don't have or watch TV). When I met him, we were both part of a team preparing for a mission trip to Kenya, Africa. I asked Larry if we could be prayer partners on the trip. We, almost immediately, developed a friendship (and prayer partnership) that continued until his death in October 2016. Anyway, early on in our friendship, Larry shared with me what has long sense been called "The Announcer's Test," which was first developed in 1940 for radio and TV announcers. (I understand Jerry Lewis practiced it a lot.) Larry encouraged me to practice it, too, as "You never know when you might need to speak publicly. It helps me as I prepare for my nightly news broadcasts. Someday, it might help you as well."
Provided below is "The Announcer’s Test."
Just as Larry invited me to practice it, I invite you to do the same. The way to do it is to take in one big breath and then recite it (without taking another breath) with well-annunciated words and with appropriate pauses (for effect). You have to intentionally slow your cadence so that there's no hint of rushing through it.
Peace...
--
One hen…
Two ducks…
Three squawking geese…
Four limerick oysters…
Five corpulent porpoises…
Six pairs of Don Alverzo's tweezers…
Seven thousand Macedonians in full battle array…
Eight brass monkeys from the ancient, sacred crypts of Egypt…
Nine apathetic, sympathetic, diabetic old men on roller skates, with a marked propensity toward procrastination and sloth…
Ten lyrical, spherical, diabolical denizens of the deep, who all stall around the corner of the quo of the quay of the quivery, all at the same time.
One hen…
Two ducks…
Three squawking geese…
Four limerick oysters…
Five corpulent porpoises…
Six pairs of Don Alverzo's tweezers…
Seven thousand Macedonians in full battle array…
Eight brass monkeys from the ancient, sacred crypts of Egypt…
Nine apathetic, sympathetic, diabetic old men on roller skates, with a marked propensity toward procrastination and sloth…
Ten lyrical, spherical, diabolical denizens of the deep, who all stall around the corner of the quo of the quay of the quivery, all at the same time.
--
For those of you who're interested, here's a link to Larry's final broadcast message:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uv_u0RQ4VA
"Thanks for the company..."
Comments
Post a Comment